Ilkley CC

The journey of The ICC takes many twists and turns! Keep logging on to see what Season 2006 has in store!

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Game 7 - New Rover (Away)

Date - 3rd June 2006

Before the game New Rover were 7 points behind Ilkley and The ICC lads were hoping to put a bit more daylight between the two teams. It was a new ground to many of the Ilkley players, New Rover having recently applied to the Aire Whare League. A welcome addition it is too... the ground is immaculate, enjoying the benefits of full-time groundsman Keith Boyce. A small picket fence runs adjacent to the boundary edge, the ground sits in an elevated postion and amongst woodland - a very pretty ground indeed. Money is obviously not much of an issue for the club as Geoffrey Richmond (former City chairman) provides whatever is needed.

And finally the weather did us proud; 6 weeks into the season we eventually get clear blue sky and hot sunshine in which to enjoy the game. No change with Guppy's luck however as he lost the toss a seventh successive time!

Rover Skipper Mike Richmond chose to bowl first and Ilkley had first crack at what looked to be a good batting track.

With Simon unfortunately having to leave us Santy opened the batting with Bails and immediatly looked the part. Any nerves he or indeed his teamates may have had were soon dispelled when he played a lovely cut to the boundary in the third over. At the other end Bails was looking defiant yet graceful, a sublime cover drive in the fifth over particularly elegant.

In the 7th over the young openers had guided Ilkley to 50 without any scares when Bails was on the end of a poor decision, a thick inside edge onto his pad and he was triggered lbw... it would have been funny if it hadn't been so cruel.

Cocky joined Santy at the crease and stared in disbelief as Santy undid all his hard work by charging the New Rover spinner two balls later and was caught at gully. So 50-0 was suddenly 50-2 and with Wheels joining Cocky at the crease it was game on.

Things were to go from bad to worse however, as in the very next over Cocky was caught behind.

52-3 and Paul and Wheels now had a salvation job on their hands.

With 34 overs left the two new boys had to dig in and resurrect the Ilkley innings. It wasn't pretty but they were effective, the two batsmen eventually guiding Ilkley to 130 with 12 overs left. Now was the time to start an attack, but unfortunately for The Hustler, his first big shot was held at Long Off. Paul departed for 33 but he did exactly what was needed and helped build the foundation that Ilkley could hopefully progress from.

Guppy joined Wheels in the middle and showed just how good touch he was in... smashing a gigantic six over mid-wicket.
Wheels too tried to push on, pinching singles and the odd boundary.
Captain Quaife was caught and bowled but scored a respectable 14 and made way for new Italian signing Tourettes Rhodsi.

Wheels and Rhodesy weren't to partner each other for long however as Wheels was caught on the edge.

The two Rhodes Boys were in the middle but within 6 balls Richy Lad was run out by Andy Lad!

Dickie and Andy played some big shots with 5 overs left, particularly Andy who hit two big sixes. The scorers were busy and perhaps Dick was unfortunate to have played on chasing a wide one.

Joe 'Tiger' Varley went in and helped bump the score along to 176-7 with Rhodesy finishing on an excellent 31.

A tremendous spread was put on by the New Rover Tea Ladies, the Swiss Roll an obvious highlight!

The New Rover innings begun very streakily, the right hander edging two of Dickie's for four. Richmond at the other hand was very slow to get going, eventually pinching a single in the 6th over.

There was almost a run-out after smart work by Wheels but it wasn't given. Not that it was to matter however as Dickie deservedly snared his man the very next delivery, caught behind by the cat-like Varley!

Rhodes can count himself unlucky not to have got a wicket after some good bowling and it was Captain Quaife who replaced him at the top end.
After a slow start Richmond was starting to look very solid and was now playing his shots. It was a familiar tale for each of the Ilkley bowlers... for every good ball they would ball in the over they would bowl a bad one which was punished by the New Rover skipper and his number three. This would ultimately be the downfall. Cocky came on at the other end to replace Dickie and found the two batsmen had settled in and try as he might he too struggled to get anything from an excellent batting track.

Always up with the required run-rate the two New Rover batsmen were pacing their innings excellently and it meant Guppy was trying to mix the bowling up and break the deadlock.

Both Paul and Wheels tried in vain, despite good initial bowling and it was left to Rhodes and Harrison to try and rescue something. With 8 overs left, New Rover required 40.

Richmond however, was on 75 and had the bit between his teeth.
He got stuck in to both the bowlers and accelerated towards his ton. Rhodes number three out, Wheels taking a simple catch at square leg but it was too little too late and in the 46th over Richmond hit the winning runs to make a deserved century.

The Ilkley players should not feel too disheartened after this defeat. It should be noted that Jayes was missing and he would have certainly been an asset on this kind of pitch and the way the middle order fought after a mini collapse show that Ilkley will battle to the death. With excellent team-spirit and the quality to fight for each other in abundance in the ICC dressing room the opposition will write off Ilkley at their peril.

Up next Skipton and a good chance to get back to winning ways!

Up the ICC!


Post a Comment

<< Home